Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I'm Torn...

Part of me wants to talk about Rick Santorum leaving the race for POTUS.  He was my choice, after several others who were less worthy.  I never thought Santorum would make it this far.  I thought his endorsements would ruin him.  In the end, maybe they did.  But the main thing is, while we are not electing a Pope, as Pat Archbold said, we were trying to elect the best man.  I'm sorry Rick won't be that man.

I will grit my teeth and vote for Romney if I have to.  Yuck.  But I will.

Now George Zimmerman has been charged with 2nd degree murder.  Given the time line, I think this is a path to exoneration.  Here's how it works:

G.Z.'s story has not changed.  He went into hiding because his life was threatened.  He called his attorneys to fire them, then called the prosecutor. He went in to custody, voluntarily, shortly after the charge.

His attorneys were probably trying to plead a deal.  Knowing he did nothing wrong, he refused.  He dumps his lawyers and calls the prosecutor.  He then makes a deal for the prosecutor to charge him with a crime that he did not commit.  The prosecutor, knowing he committed no crime, says let's get this over with, then the media will be satisfied.  You did nothing wrong, but we need to prove that in a court.

G.Z. will be held in a private cell until his trial.  His name will be cleared.  The media will move on to another crisis.  The POTUS will find another poster-boy.

But George Zimmerman will have to watch his back for the rest of his life.

No comments: