Tuesday, April 24, 2012

All Things Pink

I live in a pink-free zone.  I'm the only female in  a household of men, and am restricted in my use of pink out of courtesy for the men in my life.  But even if that were not so, I don't think I would allow pink anywhere near me.

You see, the color has been completely co-opted by people with nefarious purposes.  Let me give a few examples:

  1. The Susan J. Khomen Foundation started it all with pink ribbons that have now infested every conceivable product offered to women.  Pink is the color of breast cancer.  It is the most visible sign of the money poured into Planned Parenthood by those who still think they provide mammograms.  For me, the pink ribbon on a product  signifies the death of yet another child through abortion.
  2. When teaching, I see many young women walking around campus with 'pink' written across their breasts and bottoms as they travel to class.  These young women look brazen and unkempt and seem to want to proclaim it to the world.  It is a fashion statement without style.
  3. Pink Legos have been produced to encourage young girls to play with the little bricks.  Is it just possible that girls might want to play with yellow or blue?
  4. Code Pink is a nasty organization of women who protest just about anything.  I've never seen an attractive woman as part of a Code Pink protest.  They are angry, disruptive and rude.
  5. Pink slime is the new name given to the fat that is ground up with meat.  Sure, by itself it would be completely unhealthy, but fat adds flavor.  Just as the various facets of the women's movement seem to have turned to pink exclusively for their banners, turning to pink slime exclusively is gross.  A little goes a long way.
  6. Rick Santorum ran afoul of the pink promoters when he told a young boy with whom he was bowling that friends don't let friends use pink balls.  Feminists took this as a sign of the so-called war on women.  I took it as a sign that the boy was probably not named Laverne or Shirley.
 All of these examples lead me to believe we should start a boycott of the color pink until it has returned to its proper place as just another color in the spectrum.  When a color has become so completely associated with political and cultural causes,  wearing the color can seem like a statement. 

Just say no pink.

No comments: