Thursday, December 15, 2011

Last Thoughts before First Primary (Probably) 12/15/2011

I started out as a Thaddeus McCotter supporter, with the yard signs to prove it.  When he dropped out,  I never really got behind anyone, but didn't think the media-types were fair to Herman Cain, and I still don't believe his accusers.  I believe he suspended his campaign knowing he could protect his family from the slander and resulting pain.  Even so, Cain had a real issue with the foreign affairs learning curve.

So now what to do?  Rick Santorum is now my first choice.  "Foolish," you may say.  He has been hanging in the 5% or less column so long, no sane person thinks he is viable.
Read more...


"Nonsense," say I.  We haven't had a caucus or a primary yet.  Santorum has been working the streets because he can't cut a break at any of the debates.  (You may remember him as the one who receives fewer questions than Bachman, while hiding at the spot on stage closest to the stage manager's hook, half covered by a curtain, in the lowest possible stage light...)  I know that, even though I'm fairly politically active, I never get a call from pollsters unless it's a half-robo-call asking for money.  I'll bet most people in Iowa and New Hampshire feel the same way.  I'll bet that if they voted for the true conservative with experience and gravitas, they'd vote Santorum.

We who follow the news have been told, and shown by the debates, that Santorum doesn't have a chance.  I admit, I haven't contributed, or purchased a yard sign yet.  After the McCotter fall, I'm afraid my getting behind someone is going to be like my years at Notre Dame and Nebraska as a football fan;  as soon as I cheer him on, he'll hire Lou Holtz as a coach, and go down in flames.

If I knew how to spam every conservative in Iowa and New Hampshire, I think I would say the following:

If you are going to vote for Romney, Gingrich, Paul, Trump, Bachmann, or anyone else in this muddied field,  you need to ask yourself why Rick Santorum isn't your first choice.  He is as proficient in foreign policy as any of them, and less likely to make a gaff than most.  He is fiscally conservative, more than most others in the field.  He supports the First Amendment rights of freedom of conscience and speech, and frankly lives that life more honestly than many in the field.  He's as excellent a speaker as any in the pack, without the frequent missteps of so many of his competitors.

In short, he is the conservative man of honor that we all know can defeat Obama, if we simply stop believing we need a conservative slick Willy, or another kind of news maker.

The editors at the National Review  seem to want Romney.  Foolish, I say.  Romney will be slowly torn apart by the liberal media for every change of thought or belief.  For every time he issued an executive order to allow faith-based exemption to organizations that couldn't, because of conscience, provide adoption service to homosexual couples, he will be compared to Obama's exemptions from health care laws for labor unions.  For everytime the dems pull out the old 'available, safe and rare' song about abortion, Mitt will be shown to have changed his thinking on life issues.

The result will be a fractured conservative base, looking for a third party candidate.

We need a truly conservative candidate.  No crazies from the past, no inconsistencies.  The only specter in Santorum's past that could come back to haunt him is Arlan.

This surely is the lesser of any of the other evils.

I don't want to hold my nose when I vote for the Republican candidate.  Vote Rick Santorum.

1 comment:

richard said...

It's all polls at this point. The voting has not started yet.