Friday, January 14, 2011

To Facebook or not to Facebook

When I first started my face-book page,  I wanted an avenue to stay in touch with some of my students.  I've always thought that the proof of a teacher's worth was the achievements of her students.  I have many who are managing to stay afloat in this lousy economy, one who spent 8 years working the Bush administration, one who is a playwright, one who is a campaign manager for congressional democrats, one who is a professional wrestler...

Then I dropped the page because students were using it as a way to complain about test scores, etc.

Now I'm back on facebook, mostly to look for old friends I haven't seen in years.  My friend Sue and I used to have a long distance cocktail hour once in a while.  We'd get a bottle of wine each, one in Omaha, one in San Fransisco, and talk on the phone for an hour or more as if we were hanging out for drinks.

I miss that a lot.

One of things that's hard about being a home-school mom is that you don't have the chance for those brief friendly chats that take place on the sidewalks before and after school with the other parents.  Instead, you email and blog about the school days with your colleagues.  It's virtual school sidewalk.

I guess that's why I'm on facebook again.  I hope to have a chance to catch up with friends, have a virtual cocktail hour once in a while, or a virtual 'bump' into an old fiend in the produce aisle. 

So if you've come here from face book, how about getting together for cocktails, or coffee?

No comments: