Monday, September 13, 2010

More on Father Corapi

The truth is that I was deeply disappointed in Father Corapi.  I wanted to hear about how to really wage war against evil forces.  Instead he reiterated  that to fight evil we should:
  1. Strive to live in a state of grace by avoiding sin.
  2. Go to confession regularly, and strive to avoid sin.
  3. Pray regularly, especially the rosary.
  4. Go to Mass daily, or at least as often as possible.
  5. Offer up our suffering, rather than complain or try to reduce the suffering.
  6. Fast.
  7. Pray.
  8. Give Alms.
Well, the truth is, I'm disappointed because these are the very things I've been told all of my life.  I wanted a spectacular story of mortal spiritual combat that makes the battle sound like something out of Tolkien or Lewis.

Instead, I heard the wisdom of the ages.  God does not change.  Good does not change.  Only the glamor of the devil changes, in order to find new ways to distract us from the Truth.   So Lady Gaga is increasingly outrageous even as Cher recycles a look from 20 years ago.  Isn't it interesting that the shock purveyors aren't any more shocking than they were 20 years ago?  Cher taught Gaga a lesson.  And she reminded us of Truth. Raunchy, tawdry, immodest clothes haven't changed.  They've just become more common, and are worn by younger people.

I thank God that the lessons are the same.  I  thank God the sinners are recognizable.  I'm sorry I'm still a sinner like the rest. 

I finally thank God that the sins I see in others are sins I have recognized in myself.  It helps me to know that I'm not too proud to pray, and repent, and to forgive.

Wouldn't it be cool to see Julia Roberts in a movie called, "Fast, Pray, Give"?  I might actually go see that movie.  Maybe that could be Gaga's movie debut...  I  might have to meet her first and convince her...  Like that's going to happen.

No comments: