Sunday, January 8, 2012

Rick Santorum Must Be Everything He Says He Is

You know this kind of job existed.  When I think about doing this kind of work, I think, yuck.  But I guess it is important on some level.

Does this kind of scrutiny keep good people from running for office?  Sure.  I know I couldn't stand up to it, not that I'd be anyone's candidate anyway.  Does it get rid of people who shouldn't run?  Probably, but in the case of Obama, not always.  Does this kind of thing fly in the face of the liberal mantra ?  Only if you believe there is a real right to privacy.

That's the catch.  If you believe there is a right to privacy, then it must apply to all actions not just the killing of children.  If there is true privacy, no single person can be forced to expose his/her scandals, peccadilloes, addictions, habits, felonies...  You name it.  The government could not share that information either.

Think about a world where you can't find the school or employment records of a potential employee.  Think about a world where you can't get a credit history for someone who wants a loan.  Think about a world where insurance companies can't use actuarial tables because they can't collect data.  All of these things are a result of a right to privacy.  But of course none of these things have happened.

Why doesn't the right to privacy exist for anything except the killing of babies.  Oh, that's not really true.  It also exists for any woman who accuses a man of rape.  That's called a rape shield law.  (I'm exposing my anti-feminist side here.)  So some things get to be secret, others do not.

After reading the above article, I was struck by the different reactions I would have to a productive day of work, that this man can clearly not have.  I come home smiling, stories to tell.  I do a happy dance.   I celebrate.

Can someone who works to expose the blistering puss of an underbelly ever really be happy?

No comments: